Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote

Have I mentioned before that I love Strawberry Rhubarb things?  All things Strawberry Rhubarb are a favorite of mine.  I remember a few years after Dave and I were married, we went to the coast around my birthday.  Sweet man that he is, he asked what kind of cake I wanted.  I surprised him by saying I'd really much rather have a Strawberry Rhubarb pie. 

Lately, I've been experimenting with all thing rhubarb.... yummy!  Last week's Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler was such a hit, I had to keep trying new recipes.  This compote came out heavenly.  It was sweet and tart at the same time and irresistible on vanilla ice cream.

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound rhubarb (between 4 and 6 stalks)
  • 1 pint strawberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup orange juice

Preparation:

Cut rhubarb into half-inch slices. Hull and halve strawberries, or cut into quarters, depending on size.
Place cut rhubarb in a large saucepan. Add sugar and orange juice. Heat on medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add strawberries and cook fruit mixture for 10-12 minutes until softened.
Makes 4 cups.
* Recipe from Low Fat Cooking.com

Well, as good as it was on ice cream, it was even better on pancakes.  I couldn't believe how good this was.  Incredible!

Have you had your dose of Strawberry Rhubarb today?

*Linked to these Parties.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We're going strawberry picking this weekend, I am going to have to try this one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails