Thursday, November 4, 2010

November's Cheapest Fruits and Veggies

Wow.  Well I was really quite sad when the fall hit and we weren't going to be getting that wonderful summer produce anymore.  But if there's one thing that this experiment has taught me, there's always new ways to use what we have available to us.  I've been pleasantly surprised by what I can come up with if I only put my mind to being creative.  This fall produce has turned out to be wonderful as well.

Here are November's Cheapest Fruits and Veggies:
Cranberries
Oranges
Tangerines
Pears
Pomegranates
Persimmons
Pumpkins
Winter Squash
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Spinach

Pumpkin continues to be a hit around here in baking: muffins, bread, cookies, lattes, etc.

I'm also excited to try this Raspberry and Orange Spinach Salad @ Frugal Granola.  What a great way to combine fruits and veggies and capitalize on what's in season.

A few weeks ago, we baked sweet potatoes for dinner.  I mashed them with butter and slivered almonds, and served them with a green salad.  The kids loved the sweet flavor and it was a healthy variation of baked potatoes for dinner.

We've also taken an acorn squash, stuffed it with a savory mix of tomatoes, hamburger and spices, and baked it as a main dish.  It just has to be seasoned well or the sweetness will dominate.  But for the price that they're at right now, it's well worth experimenting with.

Broccoli continues to be a favorite around here.  We've been steaming and dressing ours with basil and Parmesan cheese.  Often times we'll serve it along side fish for a light healthy dinner.

I'd love to poach some pears and serve with a raspberry sauce.  Topped with some toasted almonds... perfect for desert.

Also we're coming into cranberry season.  These little berries are packed with nutrients and so yummy.  But beware.  They're only available this time of year.  If you like them year round, now's the time to pick them up.  They freeze well and are perfect for apple season, like this Cranberry Applesauce.

How are you using seasonal fruits and veggies in your home?

3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I'll miss summer's yummy fruits and vegetables, but fall is definitely my favorite season. My favorite apple is the Macoun! I'm glad to see broccoli going cheap as it is one of my (few) favorite vegetables. I like sweet potatoes, too, but I like them savory--with butter and salt--not sugary-sweet with marshmallows.

Lee said...

I'm with you. I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy sweet potatoes without the marshmallows. I still like them sweet, but the traditional marshmallows and brown sugar ruins them for me.

vicky said...

We love roasting broccoli at our house. We call them broccoli fries. I toss some broccoli florets in a bowl with oil and seasonings of choice (usually seasoning salt, garlic powder, cumin) and roast in a 450° F oven until they are spotted with brown and crispy'ish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails