Thursday, November 11, 2010

Twelve Weeks of Christmas: Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti




As I said earlier this week, I am in full baking season.  October hits and I want to bake.  But with Noah's birthday, and my birthday, and Halloween, I feel like my hands are so full.  So when November arrives, I'm getting antsy and I'm ready to go.

I've been narrowing down my baking list and I just want to go full scale.  A few years ago, I picked up a "Something Extra" from Raley's.  This is such a fun magazine and I love that it's free.  Ideally it's set up to promote items from Raley's, but realistically the ingredients are available nearly anywhere.  And it's got great seasonal recipes.  I love it.

I have an issue from 2006 with several biscotti recipes and this one has become my favorite.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti
2 eggs
1 c sugar
2 tsp peppermint
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Beat eggs, sugar, and extract.  Stir in flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, until a VERY stiff dough forms.  Divide dough into 2 piece and form (2) 9x4 rectangles, 1/2 in thick (I made my thicker and it's almost too much).  Bake for 30 min and allow to cool slightly.  Cut into 1/2 in slices with a bread knife and return to oven, with flat sides down.  Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake an additional 20-25 min, until crisp.  Cool completely.

I did not do this, however, the recipe also suggests dipping the bottom of the slices in melted chocolate and crushed peppermint.  This would be a great addition is you intend to use these as a gift.

*Linked to these Parties

4 comments:

Abbi said...

Those look yummy and sound fun to try! I just tried making almond biscotti this week. It was okay but not a repeat recipe. That was my first attempt of biscotti.

JessieLeigh said...

Oh, yum! I think I'll make these today- my sister is coming over for coffee this afternoon and we are both chocolate/mint fanatics! :)

JessieLeigh said...

Just finished it- delish! (I dipped about half of the pieces... they do look lovely that way. :))

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Oh delish! I love chocolate and peppermint together!

Related Posts with Thumbnails