Thursday, September 24, 2009

Canned Cranberry Applesauce

On the heels of yesterday's post about Canning Homemade Applesauce, I thought I'd share with you my Cranberry Applesauce recipe.

I love the tartness of the berries, but can't stand the glob that is Canned Cranberry Sauce. That stuff is unrecognizable. It's too sweet (I call that the taste of sugar) and is just... there's truly no other word for it than gross. Needless to say, I really, really, really don't like it.

So I'm slowly indoctrinating everyone I know into this Homemade Cranberry Applesauce. It's super easy and so good. The cranberries retain their tartness, the apples add body to the mix, and the whole thing is light-years beyond what you can buy at the store.



Same tools as the applesauce:
6-8 apples (this is what the original recipe says, but if they're small, go for 10-12)
1 bag of cranberries (I buy these in season then keep them in the freezer to cook all year round)
1 c. sugar
1-2 c. water

1. Peel and core apples. You can slice them as well to help them cook down faster. Start with 1 c. water and add just enough water for apples to cook down.

2. Cook apples until not quite done. This won't take long. Approx. 45 min. Remember to cook not too hot and keep checking them so they don't stick and burn.

3. Add cranberries and sugar. Cook until cranberries "pop" and apples are done. Add sugar to taste (but I like just one cup).

4. As apples are cooking, fill your sink with hot water and jars. The jars should be filled with hot water to the rings as well to prepare them for sealing. Put jar flats in the hot water as well.

5. Fill clean jars with hot cranberry sauce. Place flat and rings on and tighten. Sit in hot water till they seal.

One last word of warning:
Tighten the rings on the jar after you fill it, but don't try to tighten it after it seals. Even if it feels loose. This will break the seal.

The last time I made this, I got 4 wide mouth pint jars out of a single batch.

I hope you love this as much as I do. It's one of those small things that makes it feel like fall around here.

This is also a great option for a loved ones Christmas gift. It's easy, homemade, and personal. I haven't done it yet, but have thought in the past it would be a neat idea to get one of those 4 pack cup holders from a fast food restaurant. Decorate it. And fill all four slots with a different treat from my kitchen. Blackberry jam, Cranberry applesauce, a jarred cookie mix, maybe some homemade salsa. No one in my husband's family does any canning and it would make a fun, relational gift to go along with Advent Conspiracy.

This post is linked to Ultimate Recipe Swap: Favorite Fall Foods at Life as Mom.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Question -- I LOVE homemade cranberry apple sauce and I make it every year. However, I had never attempted to can it. I make mine completely without any sugar or any other sweetener. I'm just learning about canning and I've been "warned" not to reduce sugar unless a recipe "allows" me to do so or I will have problems with the canned product -- not safe to eat or something. Can I safely can unsweetened cranberry apple sauce? If you don't know the answer, could you direct me to someone who might? Thanks. Leslie

Related Posts with Thumbnails