Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Blog Hop 2010



Hey y'all,

I'm channeling my inner Paula Deen today and blog hopping with some creative gals to get you started on planning a fantastic Thanksgiving meal.  I've always wondered what it must be like to have a cooking show on Food Network.   I'm hoping you'll humor us today in my small bit of the world as we share some of our favorite family traditions for this time of the year.  So kick back with a warm cup of apple cider,  curl up with a warm blanket and your laptop, and cue the southern intro music 'cause we're about to get started.

I'm in charge of appetizers.  Now for those of you who think appetizers are unnecessary, don't let the concept fool you.  Thanksgiving (and Christmas and fifth Sundays and any day for that matter) are all about good food from beginning to end.  Especially if you're like me and you realize the turkey's going to take longer than you thought and the kids are begging for something and you're just dying to sit down for a foot message.  Yeah, appetizers... super necessary.

So let's get started with two of my favorites.

Mama's Homemade Spinach Dip
(all credit to my Mama, Debbie Mace)


1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (16 oz) container sour cream
1 c. mayonnaise (Mama swears by Best Foods)
1 pkg Vegetable Soup Dip and Recipe Mix
1 (8oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
3 or more green onions chopped

Mix all ingredients well.  Cover and chill at least 2 hours to blend flavors.  This is very important.  It just doesn't taste right if you don't chill it ahead of time.  Serve in a bread bowl with tortilla chips or sourdough bread chunks.  Or serve with a variety of vegetables 'cause then you can count it as diet food. You are eating your vegetables after all, right?

Next up:

Shrimp Dip
(complements of yours truly)


1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
Bottle Cocktail Sauce
1 lb broken/ chopped shrimp meat
Green onions, chopped

Spread softened cream cheese on serving platter and top with cocktail sauce.  Sprinkle on shrimp and green onions.  Chill for at least 2 hrs to flavor and remove from fridge ahead of time to soften.  Serve with Hi-Ho Crackers (that's what we called them growing up; I GUESS you may refer to them at Ritz).  Again little bit of diet food 'cause you're eating fish.  No big deal.  Look at how healthy you're being.

These two appetizers are so quick and easy.  Most difficult part is making sure you've prepared enough.  They will fly out of there.  Did you notice I don't have any pictures today?  I can't keep either of these around long enough to get any.  And if you're looking for something sweet to start with, check out my favorite Cranberry Applesauce.  I never serve a Thanksgiving meal without it.

Now in case you're still hungry, there are a few other foodie bloggers out there that are excited to share with you some of their favorite holiday traditions.  So you're next stop is:

Kristen from My Sweetheart Moments

She's going to continue our journey with some fantastic side dishes, including a soup and stuffing.  Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Kiera said...

yummy recipes...thanks for participating in the hop...it's fun to see all the different recipes!
~Kiera
http//chambersmade.blogspot.com

Mom2fur said...

Oooh, I like that shrimp recipe! I'm bookmarking it for Christmas Eve. I looove easy recipes!

PS--we used to get 'Hi-Ho' crackers when I was a kid, too. I'm not sure if they still make them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails