Thursday, November 18, 2010

Twelve Weeks of Christmas: Wall Art


I love the idea of customized, personalized pieces of art.  Particularly pieces that reference a person's name. There's something so intimate about a name.  These pieces of art celebrate each individual in a unique and special way.  There's nothing quite like them.

So when I came up with this idea for wall art, I was immediately captivated by it.  Simple, inexpensive, but so beautiful.



I started with a basic frame from the dollar store.  You can find them in a variety of colors, but as I wanted all of my pieces to match, I bought an unfinished one and painted it myself.  While I was at it, I also painted the letter that I found on clearance at my local craft store.  Since I used acrylic paint from my stash, I also added a coat of Mod Podge to give it that shine.

Then I cut a piece of print paper to 8x10.  I also cut a piece of silver paper to 5x7 and mounted it in the middle of the print piece.

I put all the layers back into the frame with the glass.

Then I hot glued the initial to the glass.  You could cut and add ribbon to the initial.

See how easy that is?  I had a few other thoughts as well.  You could add the wedding date with a white pen to either the frame or the initial.  Pearls, rick rack or ribbon would look lovely behind the glass as well.

How is your Christmas crafting going?  Can you believe next week is Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

Oooh I wannna make one for my son's room! Thanks for sharing.

Stop over and visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal sometime!

Kristi said...

So beautiful! I absolutely LOVE to make things with frames! I've taken a favorite bible verse, or favorite quote, printed it on scrapbook paper and decorated it a little before putting it in the frame. I've also made several unique birthday gifts with the same tecnique. I call them "framed scrapbook pages."

You can make them so individual to yourself, or a friend. The creativity possibilities are endless! I really find too, that they mean so much more hanging on a wall, or sitting on a table, than something you would buy in a store!

Related Posts with Thumbnails