Thursday, March 19, 2009

Real Resolutions for Moms: Part Nine




Read previous posts in this series by checking out Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, Part Five, Part Six, Part Seven, and Part Eight.

"I will teach my children the importance of cleanliness and order while at the same time remain sensitive to the fact that a skinned knee or hurt feeling is more crucial than a spotless floor or uncluttered counter, for by this my children will learn to value people above things."

Sometimes being a parent is a hard balance. Sometimes it's hard to see what was an accident and what was pummeling a sibling on purpose. I know I've made those mistakes countless times. Sometimes a glimmer in the eyes will give it away, and other times it won't.

Sometimes it's hard to see what was being three years old and what was carelessness. How do you find the balance of teaching a little one and yet allowing them to reap the consequences of their actions? When do you hand them the towel to clean up and when do you recognize that their childhood is already fleeting?

One of the greatest examples of this for me has been cooking and baking with my three year old. Now at this point, I only have one that is willing or capable of helping me in the kitchen. Thank you, Lord! Big Boy is a "BIG HELP" and a "BIG MESS MAKER." I love having him in the kitchen with me, but boy is it a challenge. I find myself cringing each time he asks to help, or make cookies. And more often times than not, I'm too quick to say no.

But every once in awhile, if I'm really sensitive to what's going on, I realize that my saying no is really an indication of my own selfishness. It's quicker and easier, and definately cleaner, for me to do it myself. There are some days that I'd rather do it my way and get it done. But then I realize that my life isn't about me. It stopped being about me when I accepted Christ, and took an even bigger leap when I became a mom. And my own selfishness needs to take a back seat to modeling for my children and spending time with them.

I'm by no means perfect in this area. There are still mountains to climb and messes to clean up. But when I feel my blood start to boil, I need to check my own attitude and determine what's reasonable and what's selfish.

"Lord, may I learn to value my children above all else, realizing that they learn the value of people from me. Give me a heart for my family, a heart for my community, and a heart for your children. May I always value people about things, time, and my own selfish motives and desires."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails