Thursday, January 15, 2009

Real Resolutions for Moms: Part Two




I was thinking on the Real Resolutions for Moms that I posted a few weeks ago (you can read them in their entirety here). How easy it is to start the year with good intentions and make resolutions that last for but a moments. It's hard to make resolutions that will have lasting impact on our families and harder still to follow with those resolutions. I often find myself having a hard time changing my character for a day, let alone a lifetime. How many times a day do I find myself repenting to God and my children, only to make the same mistake five minutes later? So it with that thought that I embark upon a journey to make real changes in my family, in myself.

"I will put my Bible before the television, the radio, the telephone, and even before good Christian books, for my children will know my priorities by the way they see me spending my free time."

Now I know what you're thinking: What free time? Believe me I understand. With a 3 year old and a 1 year old, my life feels like it's in constant motion. This one has gym class, that one has a birthday party to attend, plus there's naps to fit in, laundry to fold, dinner to be made, and a spouse that's craving your undivided time and attention.

But if we were really honest with ourselves, we'd find that we do daily find ourselves with some free time. Maybe the kids are playing together especially well for a few minutes. Maybe dinners in the crockpot and the baby's taking a longer nap than usual. Or maybe your husband is playing with the kids after helping clean up the kitchen.

And you find yourself on the couch.

And you're flipping channels. Or if you're me, you're checking to see who updated your favorite blogs. Or who posted new pictures of their kids on facebook.

But what could you be doing? Or could you do that later after you're spent some time with God? Could those things wait? Could the dishes wait? Could the dog wait? Do the clothes have to be folded that minute?

So practically speaking, what does that look like? Could it be my Bible be sitting on the end table in the living room? Could I be reading it as they get up in the morning for breakfast? What about a post-it on the TV, television, or computer reminding me to spend time in the word? How will I structure my life to show my children my priorities?

I'm gonna start by getting off the computer right now.

"Lord, help me to find the hidden moments in the day were I can meet with you. May I not do in a "showy" way, but remember that you are the greatest relationship in my life and the one that I most want to pass on to my children. Amen."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails