Monday, March 30, 2009

Practicing Hospitality: Chp 6



Lindsey, from Prassionate Homemaking, continues our book club discussion this week with chapter six. For previous discussions, check out chapter one, chapter two, chapter three, chapter four, and Part Five.

These are some key points that stood out to me in this chapter:
* The friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers + a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for someone struck by misfortune, accompanied b a desire to alleviate the suffering = compassionate hospitality... the Compassionate Hospitality Equation moves you from I to an others focus (pg 161).
*remembering to include a variety of people in extending hospitality
*reach out of your comfort zone and extend hospitality to those you don't immediately connect with

Discussion Questions:
How can you purposefully start to include these different people groups in your hospitality practices?
1. Singles--I love having single gals, young and old, in my home, especially on those evenings when my husband is at work. We have four nights a week when he works late and I try to have someone over at least one of those nights. It doesn't always work out. But when it does, I try to focus on these single gals that don't have to rush home to a husband and kids. We can spend time focusing on God and imparting some of the things I've learned as a wife and mother.

2. Widows--There aren't many widows in my circle of acquaintance. I have noticed a few at church and continue to wonder how I can incorporate them in my hospitality practices. However, I do tend to see older mentor ladies in this category and seek them out at retreats and luncheons. I find one of the best ways to build relationships with them, and learn a great deal, is to sit quietly and focus on listening to them.

3. The Grieving-- Again listening is key. Spending time, even in silence, listening is the most important element. Taking meals, offering to run errands, making phone calls, helping with arrangements are all ways of extending hospitality.

4. Hospital Hospitality--This is as much about the well family as it is about the individual in the hospital. Again offering food, running errands, listening, opening your home for a time of rest, offering to sit with the patient, all are helpful extensions of hospitality.

5. Guests with Dietary Challenges-- We have many people in and out of our house that have special diets. And as conscious as we are of eating healthfully, there are still things to consider when having diabetics in our home. This has been a challenge as one of my best friends is diabetic. So some creative thinking has been required in coming up with diabetic deserts: such as our jello cups with whipped cream and berries, or frozen slushes. Fancy salads with fun ingredients such as avacados and red bell peppers have become a great staple.

Keep reading and get ready for chapter 7: Hospitality and Culture

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails