Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Roasted Corn Salad

We had a great getaway at the beach this weekend.  It was a wonderful relaxing three day weekend of beach, swimming, and sun.  We loved it.

One of the things that made our trip more economical was packing our meals.  Now, I love to cook so packing food isn't a challenge for me.  But grilling... I'm not much of a griller.  I just don't know what to do with it.  So when I found this recipe from Pioneer Woman, I had to try it.


Roasted Corn Salad

8 ears of corn
1 red onion, quartered
2 yellow squash, halved lengthwise (I used zucchini)
1 red bell pepper (I used green)
2 med tomatoes
olive oil for grilling

Drizzle all veggies with oil and grill corn for 5-8 min.  Grill onion, squash, and pepper until tender (I put mine in foil packets to hold on grate).  Dice and mix together.

Dressing:
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar 
12 basil leaves, chiffonade  (I used dried to taste)
1 tsp salt
3 garlic cloves, crushed

Whisk all together and pour over diced veggies.  Combine and chill.  

Pioneer Women's suggestion is to serve with tortilla chips or over chicken.  We ate ours with carnitas tacos.  It was fantastic.  The flavor is mild.  I would add more garlic next time and possibly some green chilies.  The perfect addition to a summer meal.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh YUM! That sounds delish!

Amy said...

that is so yummy.. Thanks for sharing..

Related Posts with Thumbnails