Monday, July 5, 2010

Family Photography Book

With our family living so far away, our kids don't get to see them as much as we'd like.  So when Noah was young, I came up with the idea of making a Family Book for him.  I just finished Lydia's and wanted to share it with you.

I started with one of these board books from Oriental Trading Company.  I wanted mine to be extra durable in small hands so I ran the scrapbook paper through my Zyron.  It's a little more pricey, but that paper won't ever move.  It's there for good. 

Then I just trimmed each page up with my X-Acto knife and sanded up the edges to give it a more polished look.  The letters were cut using my Cricut and the pages were embellished with what I had on hand.

Each page is someone special in the kids' lives:
Mommy, Daddy, Brother/Sister, special Cousin, Grandma, Great-Grandma, Nana and Papa, Aunties, and Auntie and Uncle.  
Each photo is the child with that person, matted in the same color as the lettering and then outlined in a coordinating pen color.  
I then sealed each page with Mod Podge to keep anything from falling apart.  The biggest challenge I had was laying the pages open as I sealed each one.  I could seal two pages at a time and then had to leave it open to dry.  Not a big deal, just took time.  


My kids love looking through these.  They could sit down for hours and recite who is in each of the pictures.  The memories they share with that person.  

These books have been a lot of fun, both to create and to enjoy with my kids.  Hope you enjoy!

How do you keep your kids connected to family far away?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails