Friday, October 28, 2011

31 Days of Savoring: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Photobucket
There's nothing like a warm meal on these crisp fall mornings.  In the rush to get to school, I've never been one for cold cereal.  Boring, boring!  I want pancakes and waffles, oatmeal and granola, or better yet, a homemade donut.  Something that tastes of a warm kitchen and autumn flavor.  So when I came across this Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal recipe, I quickly bookmarked it and promised to try it soon.  With a couple of changes and omissions, we ended up with an easy breakfast.


Now I know what you're thinking... "Oatmeal?  Really?"  But this oatmeal is wonderful.  It's hearty and warm.  And tastes like Thanksgiving desert!  Best of all, we all gobbled it up!  



Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
(adapted from Good Life Eats)

1 1/2 c. oatmeal
2 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 c. pureed pumpkin
3/4 c. milk

Topping:
1/4 c. almonds, chopped
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 9" x 13" pan with nonstick spray.  

Combine oatmeal, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.  Set aside.  Combine vanilla, butter, pumpkin, and milk.  Slowly add dry mixture until combined.  Pour into prepared pan.  

Bake for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile combine topping ingredients.  After 10 min, pull oatmeal from oven and add topping.  Return to oven and continue to bake for an additional 7 minutes.  Allow to cool for several minutes.  Serve with a splash of milk... or a nice big dollop of whipped cream!

*Linked to Weekend Bloggy Reading

3 comments:

Sarann said...

That sounds fabulous, can't wait to try it!

Amy said...

I need to send this to my Mom.. Yummy.. Thanks for sharing..

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am friends with Amy and she sent this to me this morning. I am following you now. Thanks again for stopping over at my blog. So nice to meet you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails