Thursday, April 1, 2010

April's Cheapest Fruits and Vegetables

So did you try any new fruits and veggies on March's Cheapest Fruits and Vegetables? Share some recipes with us and let us know how it went.

I wasn't too great about trying new things. Sorry I don't have a lot to share on that front. We did eat lots of fresh mangoes, broccoli salad, and greek marinated veggies.

Pineapples
Mangoes
Zucchini
Rhubarb
Artichokes
Asparagus
Spring Peas
Broccoli
Lettuce


We've been eating tons of steamed asparagus with our dinners. So good. My kids complain that they don't like it, but I've discovered they just don't like the tips (my favorite part). Seems to be a texture thing, but they love the stems.

Spring peas make a great snack food, with or without hummus. We're also loving the fact that artichokes are coming into season. Yum! Food Network has a great list of Artichoke ideas on their site. I'm going to be scanning this one for ideas on the menus in the next couple of weeks.

I'm checking out Keeper of Home's Tale of Rhubarb for some great ideas. I also have a fun Rhubarb Raspberry Cobbler I want to make. And I'm putting away some rhubarb for an ice cream dish I found in Taste of Home. Stay tuned.

For past months, check out:

Linked to:

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Hmmm, maybe I'll get some pineapple and mango and take the frozen bananas from the fridge for some tropical smoothies. We eat salad all the time, so I'm glad lettuce is getting cheaper. And broccoli is my favorite vegetable after cauliflower. Asparagus, though--ugh.
No strawberries yet, though, huh?
My poor son (age 19) spent heaven knows how much on a pint of blueberries the other day, only to lament they didn't taste good. He asked if it was the brand, and I told him, 'no, it's the season.' He's been craving blueberries! Oh, well, maybe I can throw them in some muffins so they don't go to waste.

Lee said...

I love asparagus! Just can't make it mushy. Too many people over cook veggies and I like them with a little bite.
Smoothies is a great idea. I should get some extra mango and freeze it for just that purpose.
I was thinking with lettuce you could make a layered salad. and I've been craving taco salad. Yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails