Monday, April 26, 2010

Friendship Book

I've been picking up some of those little scrapbook/notebooks as they go on sale. You know the little books that are all bound together with a pretty cover and maybe a few stickers or what nots. You can usually find them for around $1-$2 at Michael's or Jo-Ann's. And when they clearance out they go down to $.25-$.50.

I've found a few here and there, tucked them away and thought, "Some day I'll get around to do something with those." But I never could think of a really good idea. My mom scrapbooks already so the idea of making a grandkid book was out. And I like having my photos in the 12x12 format. So what to do? What to do?

When I went on a retreat in March, I realized I had way too many of these little books and still hadn't done anything with them. I didn't want to just toss them. So that when I came up with the idea of making a friendship quote book. I have a close friend that moved away last summer and I've been mindful to take photos of us every time we get together. I had lots of material to work with; it was just a matter of putting it together.

Materials:
Small scrapbook
Scrap printed and solid paper and cardstock
Scrapbooking adhesive
Embellishments
Quotes
Photos



I wanted the first picture to really stick out. So I chose my favorite one for the cover. I matted it on cardstock and centered it to fit the frame.

For each set of pages after that, I measured 2" strips of cardstock/printed paper to serve as a border. I then mounted a photo on cardstock and centered it on the left hand page.


On the right hand page, I looked up a quote about friendship that seemed to symbolize the photo. I wrote it on cardstock as well as a quick thought as to how it fit our friendship. Mounted it and embellished both pages.

I was running one photo short so I decided to make the final quote about the future. Then I left a blank mat spot for a future photo of the two of us.

All in all I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It's not the most spectacular little gift out there, but it reminded me of how much I appreciate her. And hopefully reminded her of how much I enjoy our friendship. Not bad for a clearanced notebook and items from my stash.

What do you do with these little notebooks you find in craft stores?

Linked to these Parties.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

That is really a fabulous idea. Very nice.

Transient Drifter said...

Hey Robin, I had no idea you had a blog ;) I've added you to my page now so I can keep an eye on you. Your scrapbooking stuff looks great. Oh and this is Sarah E in case "transient drifter" doesn't ring a bell :)

seven thirty three said...

Provides for great memories!

Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Grar idea! I love it! : )

Amy said...

this is a great way to do a gift for someone. Thanks for the idea.. Again I am so happy to have you link up a few times and share your ideas..

Clara said...

Thanks for your cool ideas on making these books.

I actually have a friend who has created an actual book for kids aged 6-12 to use as a pre-printed friendship book. This way they can add their own touches, stickers etc, but there are also fields to fill in so you end up with a nice little book for your shelf. If you think you're readers would enjoy it, I'm sure she'd appreciate a mention on your blog.

The website is at Friendship Book

Related Posts with Thumbnails