Thursday, December 31, 2009

Frugal Friday

In an effort to keep loading our diet with fruits and vegetables, I find myself returning again and again to The Cheapest Fruits and Vegetables Month by Month. Not only do I find it to be a great resource, but it also reminds me to be creative in my meal planning and exposing my kids to a variety of flavors that I normally wouldn't think of.

So to make things easier on all of us, I've decided that the first Friday of every month I'm dedicating to posting the cheapest fruits and vegetables as well as a Creative2xmom tried and true recipe using at least one item from the list. Hopefully this will keep us all on budget and expanding our horizons in the produce dept.

January's Cheapest Fruits and Vegetables
Oranges
Grapefruit
Tangerines
Tangelos
Lemons
Papayas
Cabbage
Leeks
Broccoli
Cauliflower


Cabbage Salad (I'll often times serve this with Corned Beef for St. Patrick's Day)
1 head green cabbage
8 green onions
1-2 c. peanuts, shelled and chopped
4 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 pkg Top Ramen Noodles (raw)

Chop cabbage and onions. Mix with other ingredients and toss with dressing.

Dressing:
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar

And while I haven't personally tried this one yet, it will be on our menu some time this month:
Pine Nut Chicken Cutlets and Cauliflower Au Gratin


For more Frugal Friday ideas, check out Life as Mom.

4 comments:

Mom2fur said...

That salad sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to try it.
Oranges are soooo good this time of the year. It's nice to have that 'bit of sunshine' when it's only 17 degrees out, LOL!

Mom2fur said...

BTW, I see you like cauliflower. I have the easiest recipe ever for you: "Cauliflower Polanaise." (Or Polonaise--not sure how to spell it, but it means "Polish.")
You only need: one or two hardboiled eggs, cauliflower, butter and Ritz cracker or breadcrumbs.
Cook the Cauliflower as you like it, then cut it up.
Melt some butter in a pan and break up the crackers into the butter, or use bread crumbs. Stir until browned just a little.
Chop the hardboiled egg and mix in with your cut-up cauliflower.
Sprinkle the buttery crumbs on top.
Enjoy!

Lee said...

I might have to try that. I don't really like cauliflower, but I'm trying to find recipes that HELP me like it and will help my kids like it as well. So keep them coming.

Mom2fur said...

Just add extra butter and crumbs. Not so good for your waistline, but you'd probably taste the butter more than the cauliflower!

LOL...my word verification is
"noseree!" (No, sir-ee!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails