Monday, April 19, 2010

Bring on Spring


By now I'm sure you've seen all these cute little spring banners popping up. I've seen nearly every shape and style out there, as well as every tool used to make them. And this one cost me nearly nothing.
Materials:
Cricut (or any paper shape cutter, even larger punches)
Scrapbook paper in varying colors and prints
Adhesive
EmbellishmentsRibbon
1. I started by cutting out two different style flowers in 5 in. One style flower I cut in print and one in color. If you use a punch, you can cut circles or flowers in varying sizes as well. One banner I saw cut the inner circle in 4 in while the matting circle was 5 in. At this size you can get about 4 out of a 12 x 12 piece of paper.

2. Next I cut out my letters for the word in a coordinating color. I thought of using a second print, but it was just too busy.
3. I adhered my layers together, trying to twist the flowers so the petals came out opposite. Then I added a center circle and my letters. You could also use rub-on letters as well.
4. Embellishment was the fun part. I added punched shapes and stickers, but you could also use gems, glitter, Jolee's, yo-yos, buttons, etc.

5. Finally I hole punched my flowers, two holes in each. This allows them to "lay" better on the ribbon, especially if you're going to hang it on the wall. And I threaded the ribbon through. After spacing the flowers evenly on the ribbon, I knotted each end to keep them centered, even after I put it in storage. I personally like the way the extra ribbon hangs on the end, but you could trim it off.

All in all, this project cost me $0. I had everything in my stash. The paper and ribbon were items I'd had laying around for awhile and the adhesive is one that I use regularly.

If you don't have a cricut, check out your local scrapbook store. May will offer free use of their equipment for buying your materials in their store. It's always worth checking.
So there you have it: a little something to brighten up our home. Quick and affordable... my mind is already churning with other ideas.



Linked to these Parties

9 comments:

Kristin said...

What a pretty garland.

Amy said...

very nice and Spring like for sure..

Ashlee Marie said...

Ohhh I would LOVE a cricut! I'm stuck cutting it all out by hand so I don't do banners. but I sure like the way it looks and the quick fix for holidays and seasons!

Anonymous said...

SO cute! I love the flower shape as the background. I'm going to have to try that one out, thanks for the idea!!!

Heather@WoolandFlax said...

Ooh, I love the idea for a spring banner. What a fun way to celebrate the season.

Kenzie said...

So cute! I love my cricut, I use it for everything now!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Very cue and springy! :)

Unknown said...

So cute! It would be perfect for our Bring Spring Linky party over at Scraps N' Strings. Adorable!

Unknown said...

So cute!!!! Very springy and I bet your kids love it too.

Jen @ Noting Grace

Related Posts with Thumbnails