Friday, May 11, 2012

Sourdough Starter Series

My DIY Project for April was to create a sourdough starter and experiment with baking a loaf of sourdough.  Unfortunately as the month turned out, I started several starters and kept forgetting to feed them.  Ooops!  Where was my brain?

So this month I promised to share with you what I'm learning about sourdough and creating a starter.  But again, I was afraid I would forget to feed it.  Until... DING!  What a great idea!  And I started to put it into motion.

What is this great idea?  As a way of keeping myself accountable, and sharing with all of you what I'm learning, I'll be blogging a series over the next week and a half about creating a sourdough starter.  Each day will include photos of what my starter looks like as well as what the next step in the process is.  And in case you want to try this experiment with me, I'm posting everything you'll need today and we won't actually begin until Monday.  So that gives all of us the weekend to gather our supplies to get started.

Are you with me?  Here's what you'll need:


*Flour
*Water (of course)
*Large glass jar or bowl
*Measuring cup
*Long measuring spoon
*Cheesecloth (can be found @ Walmart in the canning section)
*Rubberband (optional)

And that's it!  Simple, easy, ... and hopefully successful.  We'll see, huh?  So are you up for an adventure?  Check back Monday and we'll start our sourdough starters then.  See you soon!

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails