Friday, May 18, 2012

Sourdough Starter Series: Day Five

It's Day Five!  We've over half way to our sourdough.
This is what I found this morning when I removed the cheesecloth.


How's the smell?  Mine is smelling like old gym socks.
Sorry if that's nasty, but it really is the best description.
The liquid on the top is becoming less and less as time goes on.
This morning I probably only poured off about 1 Tbsp.


Here's a few tips on controlling how sour your bread will become:
The more liquidy your starter, the more sour your bread.
The thicker your starter, the more mild your bread.

Mine is still pretty liquidy so I decided to adjust the recipe a little today.


I added 1 c. flour as usual, but only about 1/3-1/2 c. water
This made my batter thicker and will hopefully produce a bread 
that's sour, but not too sour.
Be sure to still use enough liquid to mix in your flour.

How is your starter doing?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails