Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sourdough Starter Series: Day Four

We're on Day Four of our sourdough and I'm still remembering to check on it.
Yeah!

In my past two failed attempts,
Day Three and Day Four were where I started to forget.
But not this time.

I removed the cheesecloth today to see lots of bubbles.
Lots of bubbles.
The sour smell is getting stronger
and the starter is bubbling throughout.
The top is very frothy and it's working!

I must admit that the smell may be starting to get to me.
But I'm going to hang in there.
After all, it will be worth it in the end.

Looking at my starter,
it's risen considerably since yesterday.

By now, you know the routine.
Pour the liquid off the top if you have any.
The liquid on the top of mine was miniscule.
Really there was hardly any.


Mix in 1 c. flour and 1 c. water
Mix throughly.
If you can see from the top picture,
it's about the consistency of cake batter.


Cover with cheesecloth and return to a warm place.
And try to hang in there with the smell.
That just means it's working.

How does your sourdough look?
I'm curious to know if it looks like mine.
How is it working in your area?
Has your experience been different than mine?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails