Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bookmarks for May 2012



*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom.  Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading.  Our suggested reading for May was Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas.

These are the books I read this month:

Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis--This book was actually the book club book for April but I wasn't able to get y hands on it in time.  So I read it first this month.  Katie Davis found herself living every young girl's dream: all-American girl next door, loving family, supportive boyfriend, and college around the corner.  But she knew she was being called to something different.  Something special.  Something revolutionary.  At 18 years old, she moved to Uganda, promising her parents that it's just for one year.  Instead, as she opens her heart to the Lord's dreams, her world is turned upside down.  No longer satisfied with living the American dream, she teaches, comforts, supports, fundraises, and adopts.  Today she is the mother to 14 daughters and leading a huge non-profit that sends children to school.  At a very young age.  All because she pushed through and said "Yes."  This book is an easy read, a challenging read, and life-changing.  


Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas--Our suggested reading for this month was Sacred Parenting.  I just finished this one and all I can say is "Wow!"  Gary Thomas' books continue to be a source of inspiration, challenge, and encouragement in my life.  And this one was no exception.  This is not a "how-to" book.  It won't give you "5 Easy Steps to a New Child by Friday."  In fact, it focuses very little on kids.  Rather Sacred Parenting holds a magnifying glass up to the real issue: parents.  Thomas focuses in on how God is changing us, growing us, and loving us into people after his heart.  And He's using the challenge of parenthood to accomplish his purposes.  Chapter 9 entitled "Walking on the Wild Side of Parenting: The Gift of Extremely Demanding Children:  How Raising Kids Teaches Patience, Long-suffering, and Perserverance" spoke to me in particular.  What parent, at one time or another, hasn't felt like they're raising a demanding child?  But what is the Lord seeking to accomplish in that situation.  For me in particular, I can get so caught up in the immediate needs of the moment.  I forget to step back and soak in the lesson.  How much I miss by being short-sighted.  This book will challenge you, but it will also encourage you to take a broader perspective on parenthood.

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on.  Or link up a review from your own blog.  Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad.  And give us your thoughts on Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas.

And come back Friday June 29th  as we discuss The Table Experience by Devi Titus and other books you're reading.

*Linked to these Parties

2 comments:

hawkeyejlp said...

I loved the book and felt comforted/challenged at the thought. Parenting has definitely improved me, and I certainly wouldn't have sought out all the spiritual correction from elsewhere!

Melissa said...

Kisses for Katie sounds like a great book. I think I am adding that one to my "to read" list!

Related Posts with Thumbnails