Monday, June 6, 2011

Without Kids?



No children???


Oh, a life of leisure...


No one to stand over the bed breathing at 7 am.  
        On the dot.
                Every single day.


No one to argue over who owns the frog plate.
         Even if there's 10 other plates in the cabinet.
                  Just because sister/brother wants it.


Hours of quietly reading through the library catalogue.
          In front of a fireplace.
                    With MY cup of hot cocoa.


Shoes lined neatly by the door.
          Absence of tracked mud through the kitchen.
                     Coats hung uniformly in the closet.


Ability to be spontaneous, freedom to be available.
            Lunches in fancy restaurants with real crystal.
                      And crisp white clothing.


No "I Love You" post-it notes stuck to the bathroom mirror.
             Strategically place over the finger prints.
                       Written in Mommy's best lipstick.

No excuse to run like a wild man on the beach.
              Throwing sand into the air.
                        While squaking like a sea gull.

Evenings without board games or little league or bedtime stories.
               No whispered "Mommy, I love you" 's.
                         In a quiet, dark night.

Absence of lit-up faces over kitty cats and Christmas lights.
                Days without celebrating new friends and learning to read.
                         No one to pretend house with or bake cookies for.

Scales tip and waver between the good and the missing.
                Less laundry= less laughter
                         Less mess= less memories
                                  Less responsibility= less joy!

MY life without kids= Just LESS!


*Linked to Writer's Workshopthese Parties and Weekend Bloggy Reading

6 comments:

Minivan Mama said...

So very true! You had me thinking maybe kids weren't such a good idea...then you reminded me how full they make my life!

Stacey said...

You are blessed, indeed!

KatBouska said...

Awww, love where you took this one!

Amy said...

Great writing and post.. Hope you had fun...

Gaby said...

I loved this. You put words to my feelings. I'm glad to know my kids' silly fights are not uncommon. Visiting from Mama Kat's.

Crista said...

Couldn't agree more! I don't know what I'd do without my kids now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails