Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Silhouette Tutorial

Back in May, I took a girls' trip with three good friends.  It was a fun weekend of food, laughter, and memories.  It was a much needed break and I'm so thankful for the chance to get away.

While we were there, my friend Larrissa prepped this awesome project for us to make silhouettes of our children.  I wasn't prepared for how nice they were going to come out.  I love the classic look of a silhouette, but having them made is so expensive.  With a project like this, it's inexpensive and it only took me about a half hour.  Hope you love them as much as I do.

Here's what you'll need:
*Side photos of your children
*Ink pen
*Printer paper (on hand)
*Carbon paper
*Black and white cardstock (on hand)
*Matting (@ Dollar Store)
*Frames (@ Dollar Store)


 1. Take profile photos of your children.  I took one of my daughter as well, but her hair was wet.  These come out better when long hair is fixed.

2. Stack your photo, carbon paper, and printer paper in that order.  Use an ink pen to trace around your child's silhouette.


3. When you remove your photo, this is what you'll have.  I added the slope on the bottom.


4. Measure your matting around your outline to make sure it fits and is centered.

5. Cut your black cardstock to fit your frame.

6. Center your silhouette in the matting and staple printer paper to black cardstock.  Use more than one staple.


7. Cut around silhouette.


8. Layer white cardstock, black cardstock, matting, and frame.  

I think I'm gonna add the kids' names and ages on the bottom.  That's so my Noah. As soon as I was done cutting out the lips and nose, I could see him.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Amy said...

that is a great idea.. Thanks for sharing.. Have a great day..

Related Posts with Thumbnails