Monday, October 4, 2010

Appreciation...

Appreciation is such an important thing.  Showing your appreciation is huge.  How often do we go about life assuming that the other person knows we appreciate all they do?  As if somehow, they can just sense how important they are in our lives.  Think about how many people your life touches on a day to day basis... your neighbor, the cashier at the grocery store, your kids or your husband....

Earlier this summer, our family traveled down to visit my brother in law and his wife for the weekend.  While we were there, we also attended their church for a Sunday service.  It's a huge church, multiple services on a Sunday morning, ... HUGE!

My Lydia is a very shy little girl.  Warming up to other people is not her specialty, although she's getting better.  I wasn't sure how she would do attending a Sunday School class with no one she knows or no little friends she's seen before.  I just didn't have a good feeling about it.  All through out the service, I kept watching for our number to flash across the screen or for our screaming toddler to come running through the doors into my arms.

I was amazed when we went back to pick her up and she was just as happy as could be.  She was excited to see us and ready to go home, but she had definately had a great time.  Part of their lesson that day had been how we are children of God.  They made and decorated crowns.  And when I went to pick her up, she just kept saying over and over again, "I'm a princess.  I'm a princess of God."  It was the cutest thing in the world.  And truth be told, I couldn't thank that nursery worker enough.  It was such a load off my mind to know that my daughter had been safe, taught something, and really joyful when we picked her up.

All this to say, I've come to think about how important it is to show our appreciation for others.  This month is Pastor Appreciation Month.  So start there.  Or show your appreciation to your nursery worker.  They've probably had a very long hour to two hours, poured their hearts into your kids, and have given you a much needed break.

Maybe you need to show your appreciation to your husband.  Maybe you've taken for granted all the things he's been doing for you lately... the garbage, feeding the dog, or just playing with the kids so you can have a few minutes to yourself.  I know, I know.  They're his kids too.  But still it wouldn't hurt any of us to just show our appreciation once in awhile.

Maybe you need to show your appreciation to your kids.  (Wow, that one hurts doesn't it)  Maybe they let you sleep in an extra half hour or just let you get the dishes done without fighting.  Remember our kids learn from us... what are we modeling?

Anyways... just something to think about.  Ramblings and musings from a stay at home mom.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails