Thursday, April 16, 2009

Real Resolutions for Moms: Part Thirteen




Read previous posts in this series by checking out Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, Part Five, Part Six, Part Seven, Part Eight, Part Nine, and, Part Ten, Part Eleven and Part Twelve.

"I will not require of my children obedience, honesty, patience, or kindness without first being willing to submit to the same rules whether in speed limit, in miscounted change from the grocery store or when answering a toddler for the fourteenth time, for by this my children will see a mother who is also learning and not a perfect parent to whom they'll never measure up."

This is quite a moment of reflection. How many times have we asked things of our children that we're not willing to do ourselves? My own personal conviction has been in the area of kindness lately. It's too easy to forget that my children are young. Not to allow inappropriate behavior in them, but to remember that what appears as disobedience is sometimes simply ignorance. And while the consequences of their behavior may be warranted, comforting and walking them through the situation is still necessary in displaying kindness.

I'm sure my children have seen in the last few weeks that their mommy is still learning. However, open and honest communication is still necessary for them to learn how we think through situations and learn from them. Fully showing them, when age appropriate, how Mommy is growing while benefit them in multiple ways.

"Lord grow my character that I may more accurately display who you are to my children. May I continue to face challenges in my growth, not only for my benefit, but theirs as well."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails