Thursday, February 12, 2009

Real Resolutions for Moms: Part Five



If you're just joining us in this series, be sure to read Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4 as well.

"I will erase the words "luck" and "lucky" from my vocabulary and will instead by my speech point my children toward the One orchestrates every detail of our lives and brings all good things to pass, for by this my children will learn of an omniscient God."

This section for me reminds me a lot of what we already talked about in Part 3. I've never been one to toss around the word "lucky" much. Maybe in reference to my son when he's "lucky" he hasn't hurt himself jumping off something. But "luck" has never been something that we've thought about much in our lives. In fact, before reading this, I probably haven't thought about luck in months.

Just for example, we were driving to a friend's house the other day to have a playdate with some gals and their kids. I just had Big Boy with me and we were having a great time chatting away. As I was driving along, I noticed a car up ahead that didn't seem to be paying much attention. I began to wonder if the other driver was going to pull out in front of me. Sure enough, right as I was about next to her, the driver pulled out from another road and almost straight into us. Even after the fact, I don't think she had a clue that we were there.

As Big Boy saw me swerving and fumbling for the horn, he asked afterward what I was doing. It would have so easy to just remark about how lucky we were to have not been hit. But instead, we were able to have a deep conversation about how God was watching over us and kept us safe. We talked about how he loves us and protects us, even in scary situations.

Despite the lengthy conversation and my somewhat frustration over having to keep explaining a concept that was fundamental to me, I was blessed with the opportunity to share with my son that God is interested in the details of our lives. Even something as mundane and routine as a trip to a friend's house.

"Lord, remind me to point you out in the routine moments of life. Remind me to "point you out" to my children in the moments of fear as well as the moments of blessing. May they always see that every good and perfect gift comes from you."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails