Monday, June 3, 2013

How to Follow Blogs (Without Blogger Reader)

If you haven't heard, Blogger will be eliminating its blog reader in July 2013.  Yep.  That's next month. And I hate to admit it, but I've been a procrastinator about finding alternative readers.  Sure, I've seen the posts from other bloggers describing their favorite new ways to follow.  But I'm so computer iliterate.  I was afraid with three kids and everything else on my plate, I'd never figure it out.  So I waited.

Till I finally sat down and just gave it a try.

And really, it's so much easier than I ever imagined.  Really.  It's really easy.

So whether you've never subscribed to a blog, or have a full Blogger Reader, here's your chance to check out some new ways to follow along.

As I've researched, I've found three different options out there for following blogs in the future:

1. You can subscribe via email.  This is a great option if you don't want to manage a second inbox.  All blog posts will conveniently delivered directly to your email.  If you want to read further, simply click on the post and you'll be sent to the site.  You can follow Creative2xmom by entering your email in the box on the top right of the front page.

2. I've heard good things about BlogLovin's reader.  There are some bloggers who rave about it.  I can't speak much to it 'cause I found something I already love.  (*I've since learned there is a "Connect to Google Reader" option on this site as well)

3. You can also subscribe via Feedly, a second blog reader.  If you're already using Google Reader, this is a great option.  Simply click on "Connect to Google Reader" and your feeds will be seamlessly migrated to your new Feedly reader.  This was the big selling point for me.  I didn't have to search through all my blogs and re-follow from a new reader.

If you are just starting to follow blogs through Feedly, click on the magnifying glass on the upper right corner and enter the blog address.  Click on the plus sign for your new subscription to be added.  As you spend more time on Feedly, you can customize folders to sort your subscription based on interest, or other categories.

There's also a mobile app to keep you reading on the go.

So there you go, a crash course in subscribing to blogs after Blogger Reader disappears.  If you like keeping up with blogs, subscribe!  Blog writers love to write for you and we love it when you follow along.

Subscribing via email is very easy, but if it's not for you, here are two other options, BlogLovin and Feedly.

And subscribe to Creative2xmom if you're interested.  No pressure!  Creative2xmom publishes new posts 3-4x/week with lots of recipes, homemaking ideas, and motherhood thoughts.  I try to keep them useful and fun.  And of course, subscription is free!  Who doesn't like free?

How do you read your favorite blogs?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails