Thursday, February 25, 2010

Yes, your children will eat fish.. and so will you! Part Two

In my 2010 Nutritional Goals, I committed to serving my family fish at least twice a month. Well, it's the end of February, and we're eating fish once a month. Not perfect, but I am discovering that it can be done on a limited budget. And really, my goal was just that... a goal.

This month's recipe comes from Bella @ Lil Daises. Bella and I are friends in "real life." We've known each other since college and see each other at least once a week. She's a great resource for all things "Mom" and I'm lucky to know her. So when I saw Shrimp Quesadillas on her menu a few weeks ago, I had to ask her for the recipe. Here it is:

Shrimp Quesadillas

Shrimp cooked (cut into small pieces)
2 Tbsp of lime (juice & zest)
1 Tbsp chopped green onion
Jalapeno (chopped) --OPTIONAL
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
Salt and pepper
2 medium-sized flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 avocado, sliced (optional)
sour cream (optional)

1. If your shrimp is not cooked you can : cook the shrimp in boiling water, about 1-3 minutes.
2. Rinse the shrimp in cold water to stop the cooking.
3. Mix the lime juice, zest, jalapeno, green onion, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl.
4. Add the shrimp and marinate for 10-30 minutes.
5. Melt the butter (or oil) in a pan.
6. Place a tortilla in the pan and rub it around in the butter to coat.
7. Heat the tortilla until air pockets form in it flipping a few times.
8. Repeat 5-7 for the second tortilla and leave it in the pan.
9. Drain the liquid from the shrimp and place the mixture on the tortilla in the pan.
10. Place the cheese on and then top with the other tortilla.
11. Cook the quesadilla until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted flipping once.

I didn't have Jalapeno or cilantro so I didn't use them. And we added tomatoes and salsa. My kids wouldn't have a clue what to do with a quesadilla if it didn't have salsa. Also I didn't use butter or oil in my pan. I never do with quesadillas. You won't miss it and it will cut down on the calories.

I personally loved these. They were very flavorful and I had to make myself a second one. I was a pig at dinner tonight. I also marinated and cooked some extra shrimp to go on salad later this week. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

My kids weren't quite as convinced. My four year old has an aversion to anything other than hamburger. It's a texture thing. And since he was in the kitchen with me, he knew what was coming. The two year old ate it happily, but kept saying, "Don't like it," repeating after her brother. As soon as she'd say that, she'd stuff another bite in her mouth so I don't really believe her.

Honestly, I will serve these again. I think the trick will be chopping the shrimp finer and not letting them in the kitchen. Kind of sneak it in on them. What about you? Have you had any success in feeding your kids fish? What do they like?

For January's fish idea, check out Shrimp Stirfry. Kid approved!

Submitted to:
Frugal Friday @ Life as Mom
Market Yourself Monday @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Works for Me Wednesday @ Rocks in my Dryer
Tackle it Tuesday @ DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land
Tasty Tuesday@ Beauty and Bedlam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that shrimp gets the no-vote! Our kids devour shrimp.

We like salmon cakes with tartar sauce, and tuna salad makes a regular appearance around here. Smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese is simple and delicious. Smoked trout is another simple, tasty into to fish, great in nicoise salad.

You can do a pan-fried fish cheap and easy, too. I found pollack for $2.49/lb. yesterday, and that's the stuff they make fish sticks out of. Very mild. A cornmeal batter makes for a nice crunch and I've never known a kid to not like fish sticks. Beer batter is even better!

You can make California rolls with avocado, cucumber, and imitation (or real) crab for a yummy dinner, too. It's also fun to make!

Upstatemamma said...

Well, they sound good - but we don't eat shrimp.

Jennifer said...

My kids love tuna and I find it very cheap and still very good for you. It shocks me every time they gobble it up, but they keep on doing it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails