Monday, February 8, 2010

Love is in the Air... and on the window... and....

Valentine's Day has never really been a big deal in our house. Since Big Boy was born, I've done something small every year, but that usually included just a special hug and maybe a sweet card for the scrapbook. Last year we did a few more things and ended up having friends over for a potluck and game night. But really all in all, it's just been another day that's gone without notice.

Honestly in the 8 1/2 years that I've been married, I can only remember going out for Valentine's Day once. Really not much special around here.

But for some reason this year things have been different. Maybe it's because the kids are getting older. Maybe because I feel stuck in a rut. Maybe because the winter's been long and I need some color in this house. Either way, we've been working hard and planning harder. Here are a few of the bright spots in our house these days:


Valentine's Window Clings that the kids put up at the beginning of February


A fun Wood and Fabric Heart Wreath hanging over our mail slot.



Valentine's Bags and Paper Plate Animals... The kids each decorated two paper bags for a total of four (Daddy's, Mommy's, Big Boy's, and Baby Girl's). The tops are folded over and taped to the wall, and there's a slit cut in the front. Each night after dinner we write messages to each other and slip them in. Then after dinner on Valentine's night, we'll open them up and read our messages. Messages focus on what we love to do with the other person or why we like to spend time with them.


I got the idea for this cute "Be Mine" Garland from another blogger, although I apologize as I accidentally deleted the link. Super easy, especially if you have a Cricut.



I need something for a party we're having so I put together this Candle Centerpiece to match my "Be Mine" Garland. The leftover scrapbook paper and Dollar Tree candles worked perfectly. Add an old plate and some pink marbles I used during Baby Girl's Party, and I really like it.

Paper Heart Garland and knew I had to make one. Hearts were free form cut and sewn together. Only word of caution is to slowly push the paper through the sewing machine as the paper is so delicate and the needle could rip. The paper will not guide itself.


Hubby and I are going out for Valentine's Day this year. In fact, I'm planning a HUGE surprise for him. Check back next week for details. This will be the first time in months that we've left the kids with a sitter. I'm excited to spend a night out with just him.

Valentine's night we'll stick close to home with the kids. I plan on letting them make their own french bread pizzas and I want Red Velvet cupcakes. I'll be using the recipe from Pioneer Woman's New Cookbook.

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day in your home? If so, what do you do?

*Submitted to; Tackle it Tuesday @ 5 Minutes for Mom,
Works for Me Wednesday @ We Are That Family
DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land,
Talented Tuesday @ My Frugal Family
Round Robin @ Keeping Up With the Schultz Family

10 comments:

annies home said...

decor looks great and love always leaves one in a great frame of mind happy valentines day

Amy said...

this is amazing post. I am having my Round Robin on Friday if you want to share.

Upstatemamma said...

Very cool!! We rarely do Valentine's Day either. We might try to have some alone time and dinner after our kids go to bed this year. We will see.

Rebecca said...

for "not doing Valentines Day" you sure have some great ideas! Kudos to you for all the fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

What cute ideas! Thanks for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

These are really cute ideas. I'm always looking for new and original stuff to create with my kids. Thanks!

http://genxmoms.wordpress.com/

Amy said...

I am so happy you stopped by for my Round Robin. I hope you enjoyed it. Have a great Valentine's Day...

Thanks again..

Diane Schmidt said...

you sure came up with some great ideas

Jenny said...

I'm like you. I haven't done much since our son was born either. But I think it's mostly because my husband is so tired that he forgets. It makes me kinda sad but I don't really mind.

Expressions by Heather said...

Fun Decorations!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back tomorrow to see which links from last week are featured, and to add your new links!

Related Posts with Thumbnails