Monday, February 22, 2010

Tackle it Tuesday



For some reason it seems like our Master Bedroom becomes the dumping ground of the house. Dirty laundry? Mom and Dad's room. Mountains of preschool artwork? Mom and Dad's room. Half wrapped birthday party presents waiting for a card? Mom and Dad's room. Office stuff, scrapbook stuff, library books, unpacked suitcases.... ok, well a few things I should probably take care of myself.

Actually I took care of all of it myself. With all of the teaching we do with our 4 and 2 year olds about picking up... well sometimes Mama just needs to get in there herself and take care of business. And now that I have I feel so much better. Not quite worrying so much about overdue library books or looking for those photos I promised my mom.

Here's what I came up with:


I even got photos hung on the wall. I've been trying to get that done since we moved in eight months ago.


A highlight of the room for me. This was one of our engagement photos that we framed and used as our guest book at our wedding. I love it.


And one of hubby's favorite items in the room: a wall hanging he bought in India in 2006. Great rich colors.

Since our home is small, I'll always be looking for space. I'll always be fighting the clutter. But just having things picked up... being able to see the floor when I walk into the room... it's like a breath of fresh air. And being one of only two rooms in our house with a lock, this is truly my haven.

I think it's important to have a place to call your own, especially as a mom of little ones. So often it feels like your life is consumed by their every need. And while I love being a stay at home mom, I need those moments of peace and quiet.

Just as important, I want to have a room to get away with my husband. A room where we can both feel comfortable and remember that it's our relationship that sets the tone for our family. So although I could have certainly done more tidying and more primping, I want this to be a room that he also feels comfortable in. Sticking that balance will give us both a place to relax.

Submitted to:
Tackle it Tuesday @ 5 Minutes for Mom

7 comments:

The Household 6 Diva said...

YES! I completely agree! I have children the same ages as yours (plus a 6 month old baby!) and I do the same thing!! Things are especially bad this month while my hubby is away training with the Army! This might be a great tackle for me for next week - thanks for the inspiration!

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

Good job tackling the bedroom and bringing it back to a sanctuary for you and hubby rather than a dumping ground. We have had the same problem (except I have a couple of dumping rooms--sigh)... and I have been in the process of changing our room back to a haven of peace and sanctuary.
Good job Robin!

Bella

Upstatemamma said...

My bedroom is the dumping ground in our house too - and I NEED to clean it up. At the moment I am on a de-clutter kick. For the forty days of lent I am throwing a bag of junk away per day. So, I am hoping in just doing that that I will be able to take care of a lot of the junk eating up my room. Then maybe the rest can get put away somewhere.

Staci A said...

The clutter always tries to take over at our house too. Your room looks great though!

Susie said...

What a beautiful tackle!!

Diann said...

Your bedroom sounds like our bedroom...the Ultimate dumping Ground!

This is a tackle I need to do soon!! Good for you for getting it done!

Eos Mom said...

Great tackle!

Related Posts with Thumbnails