Friday, January 10, 2014

Praying Scriptures for your Children

 photo IMG_1419_zps2512355e.jpg

It seems like the subject of prayer and scripture has been coming up over and over in my life lately.  As many parenting books as I read, as much training as I attend, as much as I try to glean from others... nothing is going to make a difference if my kids don't get ahold of God. 

All my parenting techniques can do is produce polite children.

And I can't settle for that.

I want children that love the Lord and love others.  I want children that are thriving and growing spiritually.  I want children that are completely, totally in love with their creator and living their destiny.

And that's not something I can do on my own.  The only thing I can do is lift them up in prayer... day by day and moment by moment.

So somewhere along the lines I saw this idea about praying scripture over our children and the thought rang true in my heart.  I put it on the back burner with keeping up in our crazy household.  Until I realized this is my foundation.  What am I waiting for?

I wanted to use scriptures that would speak to where my kids are at in this season of their lives.  So I prayed and I searched and these are the verses I chose for my little ones:

Noah (8 yrs)--
  Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young.  Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.  I Timothy 4:12

Noah is a leader.  He's young and immature, but I would pray that he be an example of faith and leadership.  Even though he is young, he is bright and insightful.  There are big things in his future.

Lydia (6 yrs)--
  You love him enough though you have never seen him.  Though you do not see him now, you trust him; and you rejoice with glorious, inexpressible joy.  I Peter 1:8

Lydia is joyful.  Joy just pours out of this child.  And she has an absolutely blind faith and trust in the Lord.  I just want to feed into that.  I pray that it would grow and grow and grow...

Baby (2 yrs)--
  You are a Son of God through faith in Jesus Christ.  Galatians 3:26

Little Man is our foster child.  I want him to know in his heart that whether he's with us or with his birth parents, he has a father that loves him and cherishes him.  If he can find his identity now, maybe his story will continue to be joyful in the future.

I traced each of their little hands.  Each time I look at them, I remember so much... their youth, their joy,  their promise for the future.  I'm blessed to keep these little hands in my Bible and pray for them each day.  And I'm excited to see how the Lord is going to work in their hearts in the coming year.

Do you ever pray scripture for your children?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails