Monday, May 17, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler


As promised in yesterday's Made by Me Monday, I have been making this wonderful Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler.  We're always trying to buy in season and since rhubarb is in season, I've been baking with it alot.  Tonight I'm hoping to tackle some muffins and compote.  

This is a dessert recipe that I picked up from the Martha Stewart website several years ago and I've adapted it as time and ingredients have been available.  I just made it this past Mother's Day for my mom and grandma.  But when I opened the pantry, low and behold, I had nothing that I needed.  So as most of my recipes have been lately, this was an evolving process.  

I've included the original recipe as well as my notes.  I really hoping you enjoy this one as much as we do.  

And if not, you can bring the leftovers to my house.  I won't even pretend to not want them.

Berry Rhubarb Cobbler
1 pint berries (I've used strawberries and raspberries)
1 1/2 lbs rhubarb, cut into pieces
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. tapioca (can substitute cornstarch)
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp and pinch of salt
1 c. flour
1/3 c. cake flour (not self-rising) ( I just lump all my flour together)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (I omitted the last time)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
3/4 c plain yogurt (or sour cream or buttermilk--I've used both yogurt and buttermilk)
2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 400.  Toss together berries, rhubarb, 1 1/4 c. sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.  Stir to combine.  Let stand 15 min, stirring 2-3 times.  In medium bowl, whisk flours, 1/4 c sugar, baking powder, soda, lemon zest and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt.  Cut in butter.  Add yogurt and stir until moist.  Will be thick.  Dollop on filling, leaving a border around the dish.  Brush dough with cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Bake, rotating 1/2 through until biscuits are brown, approx. 50-60 min.  If browning too quickly cover with foil.  Cool up to 1 hr.

This is so yummy!  We serve it with some vanilla ice cream, perfect compliment.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to invest in a rhubarb bush next year.  We're flying through it in our kitchen.

What's your favorite seasonal treat?

*Linked to these Parties.

9 comments:

Kari said...

That looks really good and tasty! When we get rhubarb I will have to try it.

Amy said...

so yummy..

the last lost is coming soon..

Boo.

Kelly said...

Mmmm, it looks good. My grandfather had rhubarb growing in his garden and I remember my grandmother making strawberry and rhubarb pie. I'm glad you stopped by my blog, I got to discover your great blog.
http://littlewondersdays.blogspot.com/

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Thanks for your sweet comment! This sounds REALLY good, but I've never even tasted rhubarb! I just like the name. :)

Kristin said...

OMG, yummy!

Anonymous said...

Yum! My dilemma is that I'm the only one in my family who likes rhubarb - but I do :) The combo with strawberries sounds great - I'm bookmarking this. Thanks!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Yummy! I love strawberry rhubarb anything! : )

Anonymous said...

I love the strawberry rhubarb combo!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

This looks fabulous- thanks for one more rhubarb recipe I need to try. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails