Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Still "LOST?"

I do a lot of reading.  A LOT OF READING.  And as the days have unfolded since the LOST finale, the whole world seems to be abuzz with opinions.  That's a lot of information to sift through.  While poking around today, I came across a few articles I though you all might be interested in reading.  Some different takes on the finale and lots of different views.  Some I'd agree with, some I wouldn't.  But I'll leave that for you to decide.


The final LOST review: sweet, fun, Christian


Totally "LOST" Recap


"LOST:" Step into the Light

As for myself, I continue to mull over the idea of community, something that God had been working on in my own life prior to this finale.  Something that's been coming up a lot lately and has only been stirred up more by this show.  Now, I have no theories about where our LOSTIES went after their departure from the church.  Whether Heaven, an afterlife, back to the Island, I don't know.  (Personally I wouldn't have been too disappointed had I seen the Island on the other side of those doors)  However, I am struck by the idea that it was this community that mattered the most.  With all the unanswered questions, all the polar bears and uncorked holes, LOST was at it's core a study in humanity, people, and in the end, it was these people IN their relationships that survived.  Isn't this how we were all sucked into LOST in the first place, by understanding them as people and how they worked together?  After all "Live together, Die alone."  

Today I found myself reflecting on the words of John Locke as he stated, "It's never been easy (to believe)" (Season One).  Still at the end, it was Jack who truly believed and I can only conclude that change came about as a result of his community.  The people that we surround ourselves with day to day will change our view of Christ, our view of belief, and will ultimately change us.  It is through our community that we will grow, love, live, and, on day, die.

While I would be hesitant to draw all my theology from a TV show, even one as fascinating as LOST, I think there's a lot we could learn from this finale, perhaps even this season if I look back on it more.  What is the meaning of true community and how do we find it?  Can we find it at all or must it be developed?  What in us must be developed to make it a reality?  How do we convert this Sideways/Island dwelling/ soul seeking idealism into the real world and allow our surrounding humanity to become community?

These questions and more are tumbling through my head.  Tell me what you think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails