Saturday, January 17, 2009

Simple Living: Part Ten



We just had a fantastic time visiting with friends this evening. Entertaining friends is always a challenge for me. I often take a big breath before I call friends, another big breath before I start dinner, and another as I'm opening the door to let them in. It's just a challenge. I'm always trying to figure out how I'm going to juggle getting a larger meal made, hoping everyone enjoys it, keeping the kids entertained without neglecting them, and the thoughts that go through my head go on and on.

Needless to say, we don't do it often.

However, we had some dear friends that we don't get to see often enough and thought we'd invite them over for dinner. As I called my friend Erin, she asked if she could bring anything. My first thought was to tell her not to worry about it. But I thought it and said I would make the main dish and dessert if she'd be willing to bring something to go with it. Whatever she wanted.

So the invitation was extended and we had to follow through. Plans were made and the date was set. I was hemming and hawing over what I was going to fix for dinner when my husband graciously offered to help with preparing lasagne. Again my first instinct was to tell him I would take care of it, but then I thought "why?" He's offering to help me so why would I turn him down.

Honestly I found this to be one of the funnest times we've ever had company for dinner. I relaxed and enjoyed our time together more. I had to take less deep breathes, less worrying about whether or not my kids had their moments of bouncing off the way. And accepting help turned out to be the best way I could simplify our meal.

I've always felt that having company for dinner meant doing it all myself. Everything. Dinner has to be perfect from drinks to side dishes to dinner to dessert. But this time I just took the help that was offered. I still helped with dinner, made sure the meal came together, but realized I didn't have to do it.

To read more about how others are simplying their lives, check out Keeper of the Home and Living Simply Saturdays.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails