Friday, January 9, 2009

Nutritional Goals 2009




Each new year brings its own challenges and dreams. And while I have many personal and ministry goals I hope to accomplish in 2009, I also have a few nutritional goals that I'm striving to achieve. I continue to find myself challenged by a few of my favorite blogs (Passionate Homemaking, Keeper of the Home, Frugal Granola, and The Nourishing Gourmet, to name a few). Many of their nutritional values we've incorporated into our lives already. I've spouted beans and legumes for years with great results. Still for every idea that we've used, there are still 3 or 4 more that we haven't tried.

When I think about all the improvements that could be made in our family's diet, the challenges can be overwhelming. So much so that I'm often tempted not to do anything. How far we still have to go in learning. However, how far we will still have if we don't continue to make small changes now.

So it is with the motivation of The Nourishing Gourmet's Nourishing New Year's Carnival that I'm writing out just a couple of our nutritional goals for 2009.

1. Learn how to make more smoothies, particularly green smoothies-- I saw this idea on Passionate Homemaking and it greatly intrigues me. Our family does a pretty good job getting those fruits in our diet, but veggies continue to be a challenge. My three year old loves veggies and I'm hoping that trend continues with my one year old. However, every little bit helps and I want to keep introducing those vegetables as often as I can.

2. Attempt, again, to grow a few container vegetables--my attempts often fail in this area. I need to do more reading and studying to make this possible. I often say, I tend to over love them. Wish me luck on this one.

3. Learn more about sprouting grains and beans-- I've always soaked beans and legumes, not necessarily for nutritional value, but for cooking ability. I've found them to cook quicker, easier, and more thoroughly from soaking. Imagine my surprise when I discover it's also more nutritionally beneficial? I'd like to learn more about the whys and hows of sprouting and soaking beans and grains so that I can inform others as well.

4. Eat more seafood-- While my husband and I both love seafood, our kids have had few experiences with it. The price often seems baffling to me. However, I'm coming to realize how important it is to introduce it to my kids now. So I'm looking for new recipes (some old ones) to help me introduce seafood to my children without breaking the bank. I hope to have at least two meals a month with some form of fish or seafood.

5. Utilize the frugal produce list I posted earlier-- I want to continue to focus on this frugal produce list when planning my weekly menus to ensure the best use of our meals and budget.

6. Finally, find 3 new nutritious homemade snacks that I can add to our diet-- with two little ones and an active husband, I'm constantly on the lookout for nutritious snacks. Three new ideas need to be added to our staples.

We'll see how this goes. Here's to a more nutritious 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your goals.
Blessings in 2009.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Related Posts with Thumbnails