Monday, October 29, 2012

31 Days of Autumn Inspiration: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I love roasted pumpkin seeds.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I tried to do my own, but I was instantly hooked.  It's a very easy process that yields a healthy and, surprisingly, tasty treat.  So if you've never roasted pumpkin seeds before, this is your year!  Come along with me...


Start by collecting all your pumpkin seeds.  As you're carving your pumpkin, just scoop them out and place them aside.  As you can see, we tried to remove the bigger chunks of flesh and skins.  Separate out any broken or very thin seeds.


Rinse your seeds thoroughly in a colander.  I just run mine through a few times and clean off all the excess strings and goo.


Soak your seeds overnight in salt water.  If you're going to use a sweet seasoning, soak them in sugar water.  This allows the seeds to soak up extra flavor before seasoning.


Drain your seeds and spread onto a cookie sheet in a single layer.  Drizzle with oil and season.  I'll list some combinations of seasoning at the end.


This was my sweet batch of seeds.  Yum!  Yum!


Preheat your over to 300 degrees and roast seeds for 15 min.  Take a spatula and turn seeds so they cook evenly.  Check and turn seeds every 10 min until done, approx. 45 min.

Easy, right?  The hardest part for me is remembering to check them every 10 min so I keep my timer handy.    

Wanna know what combination of spices we use?

1. Smoky--This is my favorite.  Soak in salt water and season with cumin, chili powder, and a little black pepper.

2. Cinnamon roll--This is my kids' favorite.  Soak in sugar water and drizzle with vegetable oil.  Season with cinnamon and sugar combination.

3. Salt and pepper--Soak in salt water. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.

4. Sweet and Savory--Soak in salt water.  Season with nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar.

What's your favorite way to roast pumpkin seeds?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails