Thursday, May 1, 2008

Loving our Library #2

After my Works for Me Wednesday tip yesterday, I started thinking about all the other reasons why we love the library.  There are so many things that we get for free or low cost, simply by using our local library.
  • Free rental on movies and audio books: With the price of basic household necessities rising, I can't afford to spend $4 and up every time I want to see a new movie.  And when they finally leave the "New Release" shelf, I've forgotten what it was that I wanted to rent.  Not anymore.  I have found so many movies to rent from the library and rediscovered some new ones.  Where else can I rent a copy of "The Wedding Planner," "C is for Cookie" from Sesame Street, and "Pilates for Pregnancy" all in one trip for free?  And audio books... as I said, we love books, but often times only read them once or twice.  And audio books are horribly expensive.  By looking them in the library, I've added a luxury to my life that I would have never thought I could afford. 
  • Pre-reserve items: Our local library offers the convinience of search the catalogue online.  So from the comfort of my own couch, I can search the catalogue for potty training books, the newest novel I want to read, and all those movies I want to watch.  So when we arrive for story time and I find myself dragging my son out to the car early, I can simply pick up my books off the "hold" shelf, quickly run through self-checkout, and be out the door in a matter of minutes.  No more searching for the right title with a 2 year old hiding behind shelves and a 4 month old screaming to be fed.  In and out quickly.
  • Book sales: This is a great one.  Our library is holding a book sale this weekend.  Are you ready for the going rate?  $.50 for hardcover and $.25 for paperbacks.  That's amazing.  I'm currently making a list of titles, authors, and subjects that I'll be looking for.  I'm hoping to sneak out of the house for a hour or so while my husband and kids watch cartoons.  This is an incredible resource for homeschoolers as well.  Additionally, I recently read an article of a mom who called the day after the sale and was told that if she arrived before they were donated, she could have her pick of the leftovers for FREE.
  • Information about local events: Libraries are a gathering place for a wide variety of people and groups.  Look around you and you will find announcements and posters for everything from free movie tickets to mom's groups, homeschooler training to book signing.  When Horton hears a Who arrived in theaters, one of the local cinemas ran a promotion for younger readers who read the book and had a form signed by the librarian. And how did we learn about it?  The library.
I hope this gives you just a few ideas of the many resources that are available at your local library.  It has opened up a whole new world for our family.  It works for us.

For more Works for Me tips, check out Rocks in My Dryer.

1 comment:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Love, love, love our library. One of the best things is you borrow & THEN? Then you give it back! No piles of books & movies cluttering up the house. OK- OK, I still have piles cluttering up the house, but not as many! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails