Wednesday, August 10, 2011

School Time Sides

Making school lunches is a true labor of love.  I love making my children the best lunch I can personally provide.  We still have a long way to go, but I get excited about putting together a meal that I know will be both nutritous and yummy for my little man.  It's just one small way I can bless his day.

But as every mother knows, coming up with nutritious and fun meals every day can be a daunting task.  And it has to be portable.  Where are we going to go from here? 

In case you missed yesterday's post on Sandwiches, check that one out too.  So what do we put with it?  I like to always include a veggie, a fruit, and something extra.  Here's a few ideas to get you thinking...
*Carrots and Hummus--My personal favorite is the Roasted Red Pepper Feta Hummus, but any hummus will do.  Be sure to cut fresh carrots and avoid the processed baby carrots.

*Sliced bell pepper, quartered cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas--With or without dip, these vegetables are sweet enough to please most kids. 

*Triscuts and White Bean Dip-- I personally love Triscuits while my kids would rather have wheat thins.  If you want to avoid the processed crackers, there's a great recipe at Kitchen Stewardship.  This bean dip is mild enough to go with any of these.

*Any fresh fruit--My kids love apples.  But don't forget about cut up pears, mango, pineapple, or peaches.  There are so many options available; your kids won't get bored.

*Roasted Corn Salad--I love this salad and it's a great addition for the end of the summer.  It's easy to throw those extra veggies on the grill over the weekend and have plenty for the entire family.

*4th of July Sparklers (as a salad)--These 4th of July Sparklers are so yummy, why not serve them year round?  Skip the Kebab sticks and mix it up as a fruit salad.  Plus you just scored points for being the mom who sent marshmallows in your kid's lunch.

*Broccoli Slaw--Again, a super easy salad to mix up and you have plenty for the whole family.  It's sweet enough to tempt your kids and healthy enough to send in a school lunch.

*Home Canned Applesauce--Use up those second apples for a huge batch that will last you for months.  We like ours pretty basic, but mix it up with some extra cinnamon. red hots candies, cranberries or chopped nuts.

For more lunch ideas, check out Healthy Eating on the Road and School Time Sandwiches

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails