Tuesday, August 9, 2011

School Time Sandwiches


*The following was originally posted on Aug 31, 2010...


The school year is here and it's lunch packing time once again. And if you're anything like me, you probably tired of the ole peanut butter and jelly. I don't think my kids will ever out grow it, but I certainly have. I need something new, something tasty, and something to shake it up a bit.
And it has to be nutritious! If there's anything I want to give my kids, it's the ability to try new foods and always evaluate what's going into their body. I truly want to give them the gift of good health.
So we're finding new ways to accomplish that. These are just a few of them:
Sandwiches:
*BLAT'S: Like I said yesterday, this is my new favorite sandwich... whole wheat bread, a little REAL butter, bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and sprouts. I kept the lettuce off, but everything else was a wonderful combination.
*Peanut Butter and Jelly (obviously): We substitute the cheap peanut butter for Adam's or the freshly ground peanuts and use homemade jelly or homemade apple butter.
*Veggie Quesadillas: Quesadillas are an easy choice for lunch and we load ours with olives, tomatoes, artichokes, bell pepper, green onion, everything we can cram in there. And the cheese seals it all together to make it perfect for a school lunch.
*Granny Smith Quesadillas: Some yummy melted swiss cheese and granny smith apples make these quesadillas smooth and tart. Perfect contrast.
*Turkey Club Wrap: Whole Wheat wrap or tortilla filled with some nitrate free turkey, tomato, cheese, lettuce, and smoothed out with spicy brown mustard.
*Jazzed Up Tuna: Basic tuna is easy. So start with the basics: tuna, mustard, and a little mayo. Chop up some celery and onion. Toss in some slivered almonds and cranberries. And season with a little lemon pepper. Plus there's your fish recipe. Very yummy!
So what are you cooking up in your kitchen? And stay tuned for more lunch ideas coming soon!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails