Saturday, January 29, 2022

What We Read and Our Homeschool Read Alouds ll Jan 2022


Inside American Education by Thomas Sowell
A broad survey of the American Education system and ... Wow!  What an eye opener!
Economist and author, Sowell takes a deeper look at why and how our educational system is churning out uneducated and confused students, deteriorating more with each generation.  He notes many of the concerns my husband and I had, influencing our decision to homeschool.  For anyone looking to understand the challenges facing today's public schools, Inside American Education is a 
great place to start.


Northwind by Gary Paulsen-- See my full review here.


How to Homeschool 9th and 10th Grades by Lee Binz
This 100+ page book by Lee Binz takes the confusion out of homeschooling high school.  An incredibly quick read (I read it in about 5 days), this title covers such topics as: preparing for freshman year, keeping records, finding the right curriculum fit, financing college and more.  I gleaned a wonderful outline from this book, both for the student that I'm homeschooling and for the one that's in public school.  Easily read all the way through or used as a great reference point for future questions.


I'll Start Again Monday by Lysa Terkeurst-- See my full review here.


The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
This was our read aloud for January.  I read it for the first time last summer as part of a continuing ed class and couldn't wait to share it with the kids.  The heart warming friendship between Mole and Rat, Mole's growing maturity and wonderment, and Toad's crazy antics.... It's a fun, light read with so many lessons.
While I still love this one, I'm afraid it wasn't quite a fit for my kiddos at this time.  My 10 year old son loved it and cracked up at Toad's misadventures, but my 14 year old daughter just couldn't get into the silliness of it all.  Guess I waited too long to introduce this one.  But if you have younger kids, I think they'd love it.  So many questions and emotions for them to identify with.  A true classic.

What did you read in January?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails