Friday, June 29, 2012

Bookmarks for June 2012


*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for June was The Table Experience by Devi Titus.

These are the books I read this month:

20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed by Sherrie Eldridge--I was torn by this one. Having found it while glancing through the parenting section of the library, I was looking for something a bit meatier. But instead, it almost read like a gift style book. There were good ideas, but they weren't as thoroughly explored as I had hoped. The biggest take away for me was that the family will look different, but different is to be celebrated. Different can be good. Overall though, there was a pessimistic attitude about attaching with the adopted child. While I don't want to go into adoption blissfully ignorant, I also have to believe that we can jell and bond as a functional family unit. The author's perspective was very negative and ended up being a turn off.



Mindset for Moms: From Mundane to Marvelous Thinking in Just 30 Days by Jamie C. Martin--Made of 30 short sections, this is a good book for remembering your priorities.  While the material and ideas are nothing new, they are presented in a fresh manner which caused me to pause nearly every time. This is a great book for new moms or even those seasoned moms who are looking encouragement.  Each day only took a few minutes making it perfect for every busy mom.  It's a book that I would love to reread in July.



The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis-- See my review here.



Our suggested reading for this month was The Table Experience by Devi Titus--I have to be honest in saying I didn't read this one. I was really looking forward to it and for months I've been watching for a used copy or one on half.com. But nothing. I haven't been able to find it anywhere. So the more I looked at it, I wondered if I wanted to read it that bad. And while I still really want to read this one, I wasn't willing to fork over $15. I'll keep a look out for it still, but for now, I'm passing. Did anyone else read it?

So what are your bookmarks this month?


Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on The Table Experience by Devi Titus.

And come back Friday July 27th as we discuss Crazy Love by Francis Chan and other books you're reading.  Where you able to get the ebook for free a few months ago?


*Linked to these Parties



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails