Sunday, November 30, 2008

Menu Monday 12/1-12/7




WOW! Where did December come from? I was wondering why I wasn't in the Christmas mood today when I suddenly realized it's hard to be in the Christmas mood when it's 70 degrees outside. Jealous??? Our "heat wave" will end soon and you can be jealous of my 55 degree weather. I'm really roughing it, huh?

After a binge-fest with my family (turkey, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, hominey casserole, and homemade cranberry sauce), I am definately in the comfort food mood. Which explains our menu for the week. I came home craving old favorites and looked in the pantry to realize we have a lot of this stuff on hand. I've loved making some new recipes (things like Tamale Pie which has become a family favorite), but I've been ignoring some of the essentials that we keep in the house.

So this week is a combo comfort food/clean out the pantry week. My challenge to you is to get creative, take inventory of what you have, and create from what's already in your kitchen. I'd love to see what you come up with. As I've said, I'm always looking for new and fun ideas to keep my kids on their toes.

Here's what we're cooking up this week:

Breakfasts:
Pumpkin Spice Granola
Scrambled Eggs and Toast
Fruit and Yogurt
Gingerbread Waffles

Lunches:
Turkey Salad Sandwiches
PB&J Sandwiches
Lots of salads
Carrots and dip
Fruited Jello
Leftovers


Dinners:
Monday: Chicken stirfry
Just a couple of chicken breasts, frozen veggie mix, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic--served over rice

Tuesday: Potluck: Creamy chicken and rice bake
Off the Evaporate Milk can--I'll post the recipe next week if it's any good

Wednesday: Bake Potato Bar
Tomatoes, olives, green onions, cheese, salsa and sour cream

Thursday: Chili and Cornbread
Cheap, quick and easy--possibly vegetarian

Friday: Vegetarian Pizza
Loaded with cheese, tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, green onions, zucchini, and lots more

Saturday: Grilled cheese sammies and sack meals (parade night)
Not sure what else I'm packing in our sack meals-- still working on this

Sunday: Lentil Tacos



As for the Pumpkin Spice Lattes I tried last week,.. I have mixed feelings about it. In my opinion, it really wasn't a latte. It didn't seem milky enough to fall into that category and the pumpkin flavor was lacking. However, it was still yummy and enjoyable. It probably would have been more enjoyable if I hadn't been so rushed in drinking it to keep it away from the kiddos. Maybe next time, we have it and let the kids have hot chocolate. Anyways... try it and let me know what you think.

Check out Organizing Junkie to see what others are cooking up this week.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails