Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rolled Flower Hair Clips

Recently I was looking for an inexpensive gift, maybe something I could use myself as well.  As much as I love creating, even the small things can add up quickly.  So I was looking for a way to utilize what I already had available.  

Looking around the garage, I realized I have a big of leftover material.  But what was I going to do with it?  Then I remembered seeing a rolled flower topiary and this rolled flower necklace.  And I thought, how else could we use this idea?

That's where this idea came from.  Really these rolled flowers are so versatile, you could do just about anything with them.  I decided to make some hair clips.  Here's what you need:

Material you'll need:
Strips of fabric about 2-3 inches wide by 18 inches long (longer produces larger flowers)
Coordinating felt
Hot glue or fabric stitch 
Hair clip backs

My strips were a little wide so I started by folding them over and ironing them.
Clean up a few of the rough edges.
I liked mine about 2 in wide.

Start by rolling the end of your material into a tight rosette.
Add a little glue or fabric stitch to keep your shape.

After the initial rosette, experiemnt with twisting the fabric as you wrap.
Tuck it at an angle for one look.
Or twist and wrap for another.
I did mostly twisting, but added an angle every couple of turns.

Glue a piece of felt to the back to hold the flower shape.
Add hair clip or pin backing.
You can layer a couple of flowers as well for another look.

I love the way this one turned out.
Made for a super easy, super inexpensive accessory.

How are you using what you have?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails