Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Homemade Christmas #4

I've been cooking again this week, cooking with my sewing machine that is. More felt food to go with Baby Girl's birthday present. I can't believe it's coming up so quick. I'm almost done with the present, but the problem is, I keep finding more and more cute felt food patterns that I want to try. My mind is racing with all the possibilities. I fear I may end up playing with this food more than anyone in the family. SHHH! Don't tell.

Anyways... I have a couple of quick ideas for ya and one that took a little more thought.

First up: Raviolis.


Aren't they cute? And so simple. We eat a lot of whole wheat pasta and grains in our house so I went with the browns, but you could easily adapt this to ivory. I don't like the look of white, but ivory would convey the idea quite nicely.


Super simple. Simply cut two similar size pieces of felt. Don't worry about being exact just yet. In fact, cut them slightly bigger to accomidate trimming. Simply align the edges and sew together with a straight stitch, stuffing before finishing the fourth side. Double stitch at the end. Then trim up the sides to the size you want with your pinking shears.


And there you have them. Cute, easy, and delicious... I mean, they look delicious. :-)

These orange wedges took a little more time, but once I got the hang of them, they went very smoothly.

I started with the pattern I found here, cutting the larger circle in dark orange and the smaller circle in a lighter orange. Start by folding your larger circle in half and sewing around the open edge.


The original pattern didn't call for stuffing, but I thought it would be cute if they were "juicy" oranges. Just remember to stuff before your finish your edge.


Fold the smaller circle in half over the top of the larger circle. Line it up so it's even on both sides and sew a straight line through the middle of the smaller circle to the edge of the lighter orange.


Continue sewing one more line on each side of the center line, giving yourself four sections. Sew around the edge of the smaller circle to complete.


There they are. My smaller circles weren't as even as I've have liked them to be. But still cute. Figured this would be a good way to complete either a breakfast set with eggs and bacon, or a lunch set with sandwiches.

Finally, I had a few pieces of ivory laying around and was trying to come up with something to do with them. Thus, the tea bags came to mind.


Just cut two simple square slightly smaller than your raviolis, stitching them in the same pattern with stuffing. Before sewing up the final edge, insert a strip of ivory for the string. I cut mine with the pinking shears to give them a fancier edge. After adding the string, sew a smaller single square on the end for the tag. And now tea time is all set, possibly with those oranges you've already made.

For further ideas, check out Felt Food Tutorial #1 and Felt Food Tutorial #2.

Just a few more pieces left (If I can stop myself). Check out my blog next week for felt popsicles (ok, there'll probably be some sugar cookies in there too. I just can't stop!).

For more Works for Me ideas, check out We Are THAT Family.

For more Frugal Friday ideas, check out Life as Mom.

3 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Really cute!

I have been working on making some felt cookies for my daughter for Christmas. I almost got out my sewing machine to work on them, but I've been doing them by hand (with a blanket stitch).

amy@flexibledreams said...

I've been wanting to start making felt food. Definitely cute and you make it look easy :-)

Lenetta said...

Very fun! I linked to them here. Can't wait to see the popsickles! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails