Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Teaching Tuesday--St. Patrick's Day

Wow, March is busy!  I can't believe St. Patrick's Day is less than a week away and then Easter is less than a week after that.  On top of it, I'm hostessing a Mary Kay party, going to a scrapbook event, traveling with two kids, playing in a softball tournament, and juggling hair cuts and 3 month old pictures, all before the month's end.  This year has flown by.
How did last week's alphabet review go?  If your little on is anything like mine, you're finding that they could use more time to work on these letters.  So keep reviewing and let's have some St. Patrick's Day fun this week.  We checked out a Sesame Street video this week from the library.  It's called "Learning about Letters."  It's really good.
I'm learning so much about St. Patrick's Day that I never knew.  When I was growing up, St. Patrick's Day was all about "green" food and pinching the boys.  There's so much more to the holiday.  History, tradition, culture.
I've ordered a bunch of books from the library and I'm picking them up later this morning.  I can't wait to see what my little guy thinks.  I'm sure the stories will be flowing out of him when Daddy gets home.  I'll be sure to update after we've had a chance to look through a few of these books.
There's also lots of internet sites you can check out for everything from history lessons to craft activities surrounding the holiday.  Depending on the age of your child (or your own interest in the topic), you can find quite a variety of resources.  These are just a few:
www.history.com/minisites/stpatricksday
www.holidays.kaboose.com/patrick-history.html
www.wilstar.com/holidays/partick.html
www.aurther.k12.il..us/arthurgs/stpthunt.html
Hope this helps and you have fun exploring the holiday with your kids.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails