Thursday, September 28, 2023

Wrapping up September ll Homeschool Update

    Wow!  We just completed week six of our new homeschool year and it went by so fast.  We're finding a groove, finding a rhythm, and yet there were still one or two surprises this week.  :-). Year Twelve of homeschooling and I'm still learning!  The biggest lesson always being flexibility as I'm Type A and getting it all done is my jam.  But this week, we've been juggling commitments with one car and needing to take a step back on a few things.  I ended up scheduling in a catch up day or two for a couple of subjects and we really enjoyed the breathing room.

First Six Weeks Highlights

*So far my daughter is loving DIVE's Integrated Chemistry and Physics.  We discovered we need a physical science for high school, but she didn't really want to take a full-fledged chemistry or physics curriculum.  Still I wanted her to have a taste of each.  So this has been a nice way to introduce both without spending an entire year on either one.  Plus it's online giving me a break from teaching everything.

*My son is also taking a twice a week robotics class and it's been so much more beneficial than I realized. They've really been diving in deep and learning a lot.  He comes home after every class brimming with information.  I love the fact that he can learn something new in a fun, exciting environment.

First Six Weeks Hiccups

*We've been using TheULAT for my daughter's French class and while it hasn't been my favorite, it's gotten the job done.  But I'm realizing it's very light on writing.  And while I appreciate the conversational aspect, I would like to see more grammar and reading.  So for now, I'm ording a simple workbook from Amazon to supplement.  My son took French with Rosetta Stone and while it did incorporate more reading, we weren't very happy with the voice recognition. So if you have any recommendations on language instruction, we'd love to hear it.

That's about what we've been up to... add in a birthday, getting back into the groove of sports and choir, and a few new curriculums, and you've got a very FULL first six weeks.  But we've got this.  Focusing on relationships and putting book work in it's proper place.  

Hopefully your September ran smoothly.  And don't forget to check out the following lines for any posts you might have missed.

Until October...


Fall Morning Basket ll Middle and High School

Seven Homeschool Curriculums We Love Under $20

How Homeschooling Has Changed My Heart

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails