Friday, February 21, 2014

While You're Waiting: Relationships with Family



(Image Credit: Jomphong)

*Recently I was thinking about all I would want my daughters to know before they get married.  Instead of wishing the days away until they walk down the aisle, how would I encourage them to live?  Living in the joy of who God created.  The practicalities and the dreaming.  What would I want to encourage... While they're waiting?  These are some of those thoughts.

I love the family that the Lord has blessed us with.  We are loud, noisy, fun, full of life, and love each other to the ends of the earth.  Did you catch that last part?  We love each other to the ends of the earth.  I know, we all get frustrated with each other once in a while.  We all need our space and we don't always agree.  But we do love each other.  There's no one who will be there for you through everything like your family.  

The truth is it takes a lot of work to stay close as you grow older.  People move, life gets busy, and time just marches on.  I guess if I could say anything to you about your family it would be to invest in our relationships while you still have lots of time.  Take the opportunity you have to spend time together.  Initiate conversation.  Go places together.  Speak the truth in love.  Laugh together.  Look for the good in each other.  Build a solid foundation of relationship.  One day you'll look back and wonder where the time has gone.  Now is your chance to build a strong relationship with your family that will carry you through when life gets crazy.

And don't just let this be for your single years.  My prayer is that your family relationships will continue to grow and blossom all throughout your life.  Your siblings will always be here, so invest in those relationships and grow them with love.  I will continue to pray that you each respect each other and desire a close relationship with each other.  Enjoy this unique relationship that you've been gifted with.  All my love to you...

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails