Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Do-It-Yourself: Cough Syrup

 photo IMG_9464_zpsb324656c.jpg

Earlier this month, I shared with all of you my 12 DIY Projects for 2013.  My goal for this month was to create this Herbal Honey.  But after a trip to the grocery store left me lacking for sage (always check your list thoroughly), I decided to go looking for another idea.

And since we were all fighting off colds from the holidays, I figured this Homemade Cough Syrup was worth a try.

Fortunately, most of us where on the mend, but my husband did take it a few times.  He said it was strong with the onion flavor.  But after only two doses, his cough went away.  Although we didn't get to test it as well as I'd like, I've been encouraged by his results and I'm keeping a jar of this in our refrigerator.

Ingredients:
1 c. freshly chopped onion
1/2 c. raw honey
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves minced garlic

Combine honey and onion in a glass pot and slowly simmer on stove top.  Honey will liquify.  Add herbs and continue to simmer on low for about 20 minutes.  Cover with lid during simmering process, allowing the herbs to steep.  Briefly lift lid and stir occasionally.

Remove from heat and strain herbs.  Store in a covered jar in the fridge.

1 tsp for younger children
up to 1 Tbsp for anyone over 10 years

Can repeat every half hour


Hope this inspires you on building your own natural medicine cabinet!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails