Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Every Body Matters {Review}


I have a secret obsession with fitness.  I CRAVE my sessions at the gym, am constantly looking for new fun workout ideas, and get a little giddy when I pull out my yoga mat.  Since Little Man has come along, we've been focusing on bonding and my gym time has been cut drastically.  It's so sad.  Although there are days it's a push to get there, I really do feel so much better.  Just my way of pounding out some stress and getting some perspective.

So when I got a chance to review Gary Thomas' new book, Every Body Matters, I was ecstatic.  And a little confused.  This is Gary Thomas of Sacred Parenting and Sacred Marriage.  What was he going to say about fitness?

Wow!  Was I wrong!  This book was not what I expected at all.  It was thoughtful and challenging.  Thomas uses wonderful insight in targeting one of the most ignored sins in our communities today.  In his own style, the author shows how physical fitness and spiritual fitness play hand in hand.  Our bodies were made to serve God's purposes, not for us to serve them whatever we feel like.  Chapter 8, the Silent Murderer, is particularly insightful as it deals with laziness and its affect on every aspect of our lives.

Thomas approaches the subject with the right balance of sensitivity and boldness to challenge his readers and not alienate them.  Inspiring, insightful, and balanced, he also addresses the fact that a thinner Christian does not make a better Christian.  Fitness and stewardship of our bodies should focus on our ability to discipline our lives and enable us to follow God's calling.

Overall, I was highly delighted with this book and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

* I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
*Linked to these Parties

1 comment:

Rachel @RunningRachel said...

Oooh this looks like a book that I would love to read! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails