Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Practicing Hospitality: Tips Link Up


Welcome to our Link Up for Practicing Hospitality!  Over the past eight weeks, we've read through this book by Pat Ennis and Lisa Tatlock, learning what it means to open our homes as a place of ministry.  Whether you've read the book or not, please join us in sharing a few tips for how YOU practice hospitality.  May you be blessed!

These are just a few ways we practice hospitality in our home:

*We prayerfully consider which families the Lord would have us invest in for a season.  Usually this adds up to one family from school, one from the YMCA, one from church, and some times one from my husband's work.  

*I consult my kids when planning our menus for the week.  As long as their requests are within reason of nutrition and budget, I try to include a meal of their choice or maybe a special snack in the week.  I want them to feel like special things aren't only for company, but for them too.

*Freezer meals have yet to make their way into our home, but freezer desserts,... I can do that.  I keep our freezer stocked with cookie dough, homemade popsicles, snack breads, and special treats.  Whenever I make cookies with the kids, I make an extra batch for the freezer.   This way we're always prepared with an extra dessert or treat for a meal on the go.

*When we provide a meal for another family, I always ask if there are any dietary restrictions or aversions.  We require our kids to try everything, but for children visiting, we find it simpler for our guests if we provide a meal they will enjoy.  I want the kids to feel like this is a treat as much to them as it is to their parents.

*On Sunday mornings, I always try to have a crockpot meal planned.  This provides us with the freedom to invite others into our home for lunch without the expense of a meal out.  Plus I don't have to rush home wondering with I'm going to feed everyone.  

*Invite others to bring part of the meal, especially if you're hosting several families.  Most friends are happy to bring something and remember, the goal of hospitality isn't a perfectly prepared meal, but encouraging others.

Now it's your turn!  Do you have a favorite tip to share with us?  A freezer meal?  A easily doubled recipe?  A way of remembering your gorals in hospitality?

Link up below with your post sharing what you're learning about hospitality.  And be sure to link back here so others can join in.


*Linked to Weekend Bloggy Reading

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails