Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday

One of my priorities this year has to be loosing weight. Already I'm frustrated that it's slow going. But really? Realistically it's only January 20th and I have to realize that taking off the weight isn't going to be nearly as fun as it was to put it on. Can we say "Chocolate!" I've over indulged many a craving for the past year and now it's time to put in some work.

Our family has been very blessed to have a family membership at the local YMCA. A huge benefit to having this gym membership is the classes that are offered there. There are quite several options available at a variety of times. These classes include: zumba, pilates, yoga, spinning, water aerobics, interval training, the list goes on and on.

Group aerobic classes work for me for a variety of reasons. First of all, it allows me to try new things that I'm interested. Several years ago, I was hearing great things about pilates and very interested in trying it. A couple of friends and I popped into a class and I was hooked. I've seen tremendous results from attending even once a week, and this is after two C-sections. I have better abs now than I've ever had. If something on the schedule peeks my interest, I can usually find a time that it works with my life. I might try something once and find I love it. Or I might try it and realize it just isn't for me. An added bonus is that the classes are decent size so I can usually find a spot in the back till I begin to feel more confident. And as I've learned in the past, everyone else is too worried about how they look to have the time to laugh at you.

Having group aerobics offered at the gym also gives me a chance to "cross-train." I building a repertoire of classes that I can attend regularly. Once in awhile, I throw in something extra, something to push my muscles to a new level they haven't reached before. There are times when I platue both physically and motivationally. That's when it's time to check out something new, even just once makes a huge difference. Why not pop into that hip-hop class? I just might find that it causes enough muscle confusion to get me beyond where I am.

Attending a group aerobics class also carries with it an intimidation factor. It may just be me, but I don't want to be THAT gal that leaves class earlier. So when I drop into a class, I'm committed. I'm locked in to the zone for the next 45 min to a hour. I don't have that same commitment level with the elliptical or the bike. I like using both of those pieces of equipment, but still in the back of my mind, I try to cheat myself into a half hour. Not so with a class.

So that's what Works for Me. Classes for variety, muscle confusion, and accountability. I'm finding that I'm loving what I've check out so far this year and can't wait to see what the next couple of months brings. As an added bonus, for those of you that can't get to the gym today (Wednesdays are crazy on our schedule), here's a great workout I found by Jillian Michaels on YouTube. I'll be squeezing this one in today. Will you?



For more Works for Me ideas, check out We Are THAT Family.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails